Breaking News
“Selena Gomez Reveals She Was Misdiagnosed for Years Before Learning the Truth About Bipolar Disorder”
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Selena Gomez has revealed that she was initially misdiagnosed before eventually receiving the correct diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder, opening up about her challenging mental health journey.
The former Wizards of Waverly Place star has faced several health challenges throughout her life. In 2017, she underwent a kidney transplant after being diagnosed with Lupus four years earlier. Now 33, Gomez has become increasingly open about both her physical and mental health struggles.
Speaking on the “Friends Keep Secrets” podcast with her partner, producer Benny Blanco, Gomez shared how difficult it was to get the correct mental health diagnosis.
“I knew something was wrong, but I think I was misdiagnosed,” she said. “People were just assuming things, and I kept trying different therapists. That’s why it’s hard — it’s actually really hard when we’re talking about these things.”
She explained that finding the right diagnosis required speaking with multiple therapists and specialists, highlighting how complicated navigating the healthcare system can be.
Her diagnosis of bipolar disorder, a condition often marked by intense mood swings, eventually helped her understand her experiences better. However, Blanco revealed that she still occasionally experiences manic episodes.
“Sometimes she realizes she’s having a manic moment after it’s already happening,” Blanco said. “And sometimes she doesn’t even remember parts of it.”
Despite the challenges, Gomez has become more comfortable with her condition after seeking treatment, including time spent in four different rehabilitation programs. She emphasized that she is not ashamed of her manic moments.
“I’m not ashamed at all because I can catch them quicker now,” Gomez said. “It helps to have a partner who understands what’s happening and supports you through it.”
She also spoke about the stigma surrounding therapy and mental health treatment, encouraging others not to give up on their own journeys.
“The problem is the misconception and the shame people attach to therapy,” she said. “For me, understanding my diagnosis finally helped me realize why I reacted to things the way I did.”
Gomez concluded by saying that learning about her condition allowed her to live more freely and understand her emotions better.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps

Comments
Post a Comment